[Gate-users] Fwd: FW: Difference in energy spectrum for first and second event in cylindrical PET system

yuxuan.zhang at di.mdacc.tmc.edu yuxuan.zhang at di.mdacc.tmc.edu
Wed Aug 29 00:13:20 CEST 2007

First, let me copy my old email about this question in 2004,

/*****************************************************************************************

I spent some time read the source code of GATE recently and found out why
the
spectrum looks different.

The GATE program first generates two gamma photons, let's say S0 and S1.
Then GATE will traces down the two photons respectively, and generates
a Hits list. After that, the program will generates Adder_list and
Readout_list
one after another before generates the Single_list.

If you check the ASCII output files, you will find that in the
Singles_Adder file,
for each photon, if a Compton backscatter event happened, then the event
of energy
deposit after backscatter will be listed in front of all other events in
the Adder_list.
So for each photon-pair with one  Compton backscatter event, we should
have two
possible event lists as:

Case 1:
(1). S0 backscatter in detector B (or A), but deposits energy (0.17MeV) in
detector A (or B)
(2). S0 deposits remained energy (0.34MeV) in detector B (or A)
(3). S1_photoelectric_absorption (0.511MeV) in detector A (or B)
or

Case 2:
(1). S0_photoelectric_absorption (0.511MeV) in detector A (or B)
(2). S1 backscatter in detector B (or A), but deposits energy (0.17MeV) in
detector A (or B)
(3). S1 deposits remained energy (0.34MeV) in detector B (or A)

when GATE process the Adder_lsit, in Case1, it will add the energy from
enevt3 to enevt1 and
update the other information of event1 with event3, and keep the event2,
then generates the
Readout_list with two events:
(1). S1 (energy 0.17+0.511MeV) in detector A (or B)
(2). S0_remained_energy (0.34MeV) in detector B (or A)

for Case2, GATE will add the energy from enevt2 to enevt1 and
keep the original information of event1, then generates the
Readout list as:
(1). S0 (energy 0.17+0.511MeV) in detector A (or B)
(2). S1_remained_energy (0.34MeV) in detector B (or A)

Therefore, no matter the Compton backscatter event was happened with
photon S0 or S1, or in
detector A or detector B, in the Singles_Readout List, the high energy
Single always comes
first. Then later, this Single will appears in the first column in the
coincidence list.
Which means that the first and the second photons in the coincidence pairs
do not always
correspond with the original two gamma photons S0 and S1.

***********************************************************************************************/

2. When GATE processing the data it will in the order of digitizer chain.
   and it always like this:
   hits -> adder -> readout -> (blur) -> coincidence

                                      -> delay -> delaycoincidence

 As what I explained in the old email, all these steps is happened in the
process of
"adder" when GATE was processing the Compton back scatter events. So
whenever the
"coincidence" or "delay" module began to process the singles list, the
sequence of
the singles was already fixed in the singles list, and cannot be changed.

I don't know what's your meaning about "sort by detector or detector pair". Whenever
you sort one detector, for example, detector0, it will appear both in the
first
column and second column, and you don't know which event belong to the
gamma1 and
which event belong to the gamma2. So all you can do is just add up all the
events
from column1 and column2 (and divide by 2 if you like), and that's the
spectra for detector0.

Dr. Yuxuan ZHANG
Dept. Experimental Diagnostic Imaging
Univ. Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center