[Gate-users] Compiling ECAT utilities

Marc Chamberland mchamber at physics.carleton.ca
Thu Aug 16 14:48:43 CEST 2007

Hi!

I'd appreciate any help you can offer me with this problem. I downloaded
the June 2005 version of the ECAT library (available on the STIR website)
that I want to use with GATE and STIR. I'm on a Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
using Mac OS X 10.4.10. I'd like to tell you what version compiler I'm
using, but I have no idea where to find this information. My knowledge of
computers is rather limited and I'm learning as I go along.

After decompressing the tar.gz, I cd to the directory (/Applications/ecat/) and do:

make -f Makefile.unix

Everything looks fine and I get the libecat.a file. Then, I want to
compile the utilities and so:

cd utils/
make -f Makefile.unix

But I get the following message:

[/Applications/ecat/utils] Marc$ make -f Makefile.unix
cc -O -I..  -o matlist ./matlist.c ../libecat.a  -lrpcsvc -lnsl -lsocket
-lm
./matlist.c: In function 'main':
./matlist.c:22: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function 'exit'
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lnsl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [matlist] Error 1

I don't think I have to worry about the warning (I got plenty of those in
the previous step, but the compilation seems fine), but what does the
error message mean? Can anyone help me out with it?

As a bonus question, do I really need these utilities if I just want to
have ECAT7 support in GATE and STIR? If not, when would I need them?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Marc Chamberland
Carleton University