[gate-users] MacBook Pro

Manuel Bardiès manuelbardies at mac.com
Mon May 1 20:39:14 CEST 2006

Hi Becky,

As far as I known, nobody tried to compile Gate on a new Intel-based
MacBook Pro.
You - or Antigoni - might be the first one ;-)
I do not think that should be a problem, though.
We have 2 options:
First, use gcc (it's been ported by Apple), which I believe is the
most sensible thing to do: Geant/Gate has been made for gcc, and
proved to work on most platforms with gcc.
I follow Mac users developer forums, and as far as I've read, no
major flaw was found in Apple's gcc for Intel.
Second, but probably as a second choice, I would try to use the newly
released Intel compilers for Intel-based Macs. These compilers are
not free, but are in general quite well optimised, so we may see
performance increase. There might  be, however, some tuning to do...

Let me know how it goes :-)

Cheers,

Manu