[Gate-users] Installation notes for non-standard configuration

Kris Thielemans kris.thielemans at csc.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Jul 10 20:05:42 CEST 2006

Hi all

Below follow some installation notes for GATE that are hopefully helpful if
you have a non-standard system. They originated in the struggles of Nicolas
Karakatsanis (NTUA), Georgos Loudos (NTUA) and myself to get GATE to work on
our debian cluster. Unfortunately, we did this just before the new version
of GATE came out, so some of this is bound to be out-of-date. (I haven't
tried the new version yet. Sorry).

Our problems came mostly about because of 2 reasons:
- gcc on our system is not gcc version 3.4, which is required by GEANT.
- GATE has to be accessible to different users, and I don't want to export
the whole installation directory (gate doesn't have a 'make install').
- our 'standard' location for extra packages is not /usr/local but
/apps/prod (but you can use anything you like).
- GEANT/root needs a bunch of packages which were not installed on the
system.

The following instructions are based on our local set-up, in particular on
debian. I'm sure however that a knowledgeable person can modify them for
local needs. Obviuosly, I don't repeat here what's already in the GATE
installation manual.

Disclaimer:
DO NOT COPY THIS BLINDLY.
Only attempt this when you know what you are doing.

Step 1: installation of packages
--------------------------------

opengl (apt-get install xlibmesa-dev)
Motif (apt-get install lesstif2-dev)
X11 Athena widgets (apt-get install libxaw7-dev)

Step 2: GEANT
-------------
GEANT needs Gcc 3.4 which is not the version installed you get by type gcc,
so install gcc-3.4.

   apt-get install gcc-3.4 g++-3.4 f77-3.4

(note: f77-3.4 probably not needed. We had to use it at some point for Geant
3 to 4 compatibility, but that didn't work anyway).

Now, before running configure

   cd config/sys
   cp Linux-g++.gmk  Linux-g++-3.4.gmk
   # edit Linux-g++-3.4.gmk and change occurences of g++ and gcc to g++-3.4
and gcc-3.4
   # (also at the start where it checks on the configuration name)

In our system, edit Source/interfaces/basic/GNUMakefile and add line
CPPFLAGS += -I/usr/X11R6/include/X11

Before further configure/installations:

export CC=gcc-3.4 CXX=g++-3.4 CPP=g++-3.4

(csh users would use setenv).

Only now configure geant.

Note: during configure, do not enable G3to4. GATE doesn't need it, and we
ran into compilation problems with cernlib at later points.

Step 3: install root
--------------------
Note: Install root after geant.
Set environment variables as above before configure.
Here is how you use the non-default compiler and location during make.

export ROOTSYS=/apps/prod/root
make CC=gcc-3.4 CXX=g++-3.4 CPP=g++-3.4 FC=g77-3.4 LD=g++-3.4 install
prefix=$ROOTSYS

Step 4: install ecat
--------------------
GATE needs ecat from LLN. In fact, we had a libecat.a in /apps/prod/lib (and
matching include files in /apps/prod/include), put there by the AMIDE
install. This was picked up by the compilation and GATE does seem to work
fine with this.

Step 5: install lmf
-------------------
Note: Lmf installation AFTER root.
Lmf v2.0 'install' lines in its makefile don't create the directories, and
has gcc hard-wired in. We need to correct this first.

mkdir /apps/prod/lmf-v2.0
mkdir /apps/prod/lmf-v2.0/lib
mkdir /apps/prod/lmf-v2.0/includes

Now copy lmf's makefile to makefile-3.4.
Replace gcc in there with gcc-3.4.
Now do

PATH=/apps/prod/root/bin:$PATH make -f makefile-3.4 install
PATHLMFCOMMON=/apps/prod/lmf-v2.0

Note: this only works in sh, ksh, bash. In csh, you'd do setenv of PATH
first, and then call make as above.

Step 6: install GATE
--------------------
Note: Gate's makefile doesn't have an install target, so we do that by hand.

make
cp bin/Gate $GATEHOME/bin/$G4SYSTEM
cp lib/*so $GATEHOME/lib/$G4SYSTEM
cp -r benchmarks *mac *db include $GATEHOME

That's it!
Hopefully, the new version of GEANT, GATE etc fixes the need for some of
theabove work-arounds. Feel free to let us know!

Many thanks to Nicolas and Georgos for helping me with this. All mistakes in
this email are my own though.

Good luck

Kris Thielemans
Hammersmith Imanet, part of GE Healthcare
Cyclotron Building
Hammersmith Hospital
Du Cane Road
London W12 ONN, United Kingdom