[gate-users] Positron annihilation distance

Rutao Yao rutaoyao at buffalo.edu
Thu Jul 14 22:28:52 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have trouble to understand the positron-range results generated with GATE.
Maybe someone here can give me some advices.

For F18, the positron range distribution (see attached gif figure) shows an
unexpected peak between 1 and 2 mm, which is not present in published
literature (Levin and Hoffman, Craig S Levin and Edward J Hoffman 1999 Phys.
Med. Biol. *44* 781-799; Laforest R, Rowland DJ, Welch MJ. 2002. MicroPET
imaging with nonconventional isotopes. IEEE Trans Nucl Sci 49, 2119-2126).
The figure can be easily reproduced by running benchmarkPET scripts, just
remove the Oxygen15 parts in the sources.mac.  We saw similar results with
Oxygen15.

The GATE version we are using is v1.0.  I don't see this issue mentioned in
the later version's releaseNotes.

Thanks in advance!

Rutao Yao, Ph.D.

University at Buffalo