[gate-users] GATE looses not needed connection to X11

Christian Wietholt cwietholt at nhri.org.tw
Wed Aug 24 01:51:29 CEST 2005

Dear GATE-Community,

I have run now a couple of times into the following problem. I usually start
GATE in a session of "screen". This way I can log out and somebody else can
use the computer. Or I log in remotely to start a simulation, or to
check on it.
Anyway, each time I start a session from an xterminal, or via a ssh
login with
X11 forwarding enabled I receive below error message. To the extent that I
am aware of, I have no visualization enabled in GATE, but somehow a
connection
to the xserver gets establish. Once I log out and close the xserver this
connection gets lost. According to the below message, this problem
originates
from root. Is there an option in GATE that prevents root from
establishing a
connection to the xserver (which is not needed in the first place?) I
have all
root output flags set to zero as shown in my macro below. As a workaround I
can use a virtual Linux console (no X11) and start screen & GATE from
there,
but this is just a workaround, and sometimes I forget to do so.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Christian

GATE/root error message:

Error in <RootX11IOErrorHandler>: fatal X11 error (connection to server
lost?!)

**** Save data and exit application ****

WARNING - Attempt to delete the physical volume store while geometry
closed !
WARNING - Attempt to delete the logical volume store while geometry closed !
WARNING - Attempt to delete the solid store while geometry closed !
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x0a1655f0 ***
Abort
~

root output options :

/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesAdderFlag 0
/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesBlurringFlag 0
/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesSpblurringFlag 0
/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesThresholderFlag 0
/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesUpholderFlag 0

/gate/output/root/setRootHitFlag 0
/gate/output/root/setRootSinglesFlag 0
/gate/output/root/setRootNtupleFlag 0