[gate-users] record hits within block but outside crystals? attach multiple daghters to ecat crystal level?

Paul Vaska vaska at bnl.gov
Fri Sep 17 00:15:52 CEST 2004

Hello,

I've carefully read the well-written Users Guide, but I still have a
few detailed questions.

1) It looks like typically the crystals are assigned with
attachCrystalSD and phantoms with attachPhantomSD and any interactions
in these are recorded as hits.  What about the material outside the
crystals, but within the block (such as casing, reflector, ...)?  I
would like to keep track of any interactions here as well, but these
seem to fall through the cracks in your definitions?  Can I add the
block itself with attachCrystalSD or attachPhantomSD, or will this
confuse the program because the block overlaps with the crystals which
have already been made sensitive?

2) I'm trying to use the ecat system because it has convenient sinogram
binning functions, but my detector blocks are not symmetric enough to
use the cubicArray repeater.  So I divided my block into 2 sets of
crystals which can be created with this repeater, but I'm having
trouble attaching both sets to the crystal level within the ecat system
- an error message implies that you can't attach more than one daughter
to the crystal level.  If I instead use the cylindricalPET system, I
suppose I could use the layer0 and layer1 levels for this (even though
they are side-by-side and not actually layered)?   Since layer0 and
layer1 are at the same depth, will they be treated the same by the
adder module and as part of one block by the readout module?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Paul Vaska, Ph.D.
Medical Department, Building 490