[gate-users] Random Number files

Jingyan Xu jxu18 at jhmi.edu
Wed Dec 8 17:26:04 CET 2004

Hello

I am having the same question.  What I have in mind is this.  To
generate different endOfRun.rndm files for different jobs, run a short
(mock) acquisition (unrelated to the experiment we are doing), at the
end, copy endOfRun.rndm to endOfRun_4Job1.rndm.  Run the short
acquisition again, with

/random/resetEngineFrom endOfRun.rndm

at the end of this, a different endOfRun.rndm is created, copy this to
endOfRun_4Job2.rndm.  Do this a number of times, depending on how many
jobs I want to run in parallel.  Then in the real experiment, use

/random/resetEngineFrom endOfRun_4job1.rndm  (in job 1)
/random/resetEngineFrom endOfRun_4job2.rndm (in job 2)

and so on.  Now my question is, I am not sure the different .rndm files
generated this way will make the parallel runs truly uncorrelated, since
they are generated sequentially from the same mock run, each time taking
the previous as the initial random engine.

About modifying endOfRun.rndm files, there is an earlier post saying
modifying the seed itself is not enough.   So anyone has a simple way of
creating uncorrelated rndm files?  Thanks.

jy