[Gate-users] Using phase space actor

David Sarrut david.sarrut at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Mon May 2 13:38:28 CEST 2022

Hi Ayeleth,

unsure why you cannot get information in the sinograms, but maybe look at
this exercice that write and read a phase-space (it is for radiotherapy,
but the idea should be similar) :
https://gitlab.in2p3.fr/davidsarrut/gate-exercices/-/tree/master/linac

Using actor frames or world frames is up to your needs. Maybe start with
world frames it may be simpler.

I recommend to check your simulation with very few particle (1e4) to see if
everything goes well

cheers,
David

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 10:59 AM Devir-Wolfman, Ayeleth (GE Healthcare) <
Ayeleth.Devir-Wolfman at ge.com> wrote:

> Good day to all!
>

> Sending my question again, hopefully with more responses this time.
>

> I'm try to implement phase space actor into my simulation, to be later
> used as the source of my simulation.
>

> I add the actor as following to the main macro:
>
> /gate/actor/addActor                    PhaseSpaceActor  phaseSpace
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/save             output/phaseSpace.root
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/attachTo         Phantom
>
> # Store not only entering particles, but also outgoing particles
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/storeOutgoingParticles   true
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/storeSecondaries         false
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/setMaxFileSize           50 GB
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/enableProductionVolume   false
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/enableProductionProcess  false
>
> # Store coordinates in the actor coordinates
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/useVolumeFrame           true
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/enableEkine              true
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/enableXPosition          true
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/enableYPosition          true
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/enableZPosition          true
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/enableXDirection         true
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/enableYDirection         true
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/enableZDirection         true
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/enableParticleName       true
>
> /gate/actor/phaseSpace/enableWeight             true
>

> Then after I have the phaseSpace.root file, I try to replace my source
> with this actor, by:
>
>    1. commenting out the above actor commands
>    2. commenting out the previous source
>    3. adding the following commands instead of the source, at the same
>    place of the main macro:
>
> # Phase-Space actor as source
>
> gate/source/addSource  pS_Source  phaseSpace
>
> gate/source/pS_Source/addPhaseSpaceFile data/phaseSpace.root
>
> gate/source/pS_Source/attachTo    Phantom
>

>    1. My problem is that the output sinograms are empty, and that if I
>    check the stat actor it shows that the simulation time has reached
>    1.79769e+299 seconds, where the simulation was run for 5 seconds.
>

>    1. Also, I was wondering what is more recommended for this case, to
>    save the particles coordinates in the actor frame or in the world frame
>    (i.e. setting the command /gate/actor/phaseSpace/useVolumeFrame  to be
>    either true or false).
>

>    1. And one general question: what is the difference between using the
>    phase space actor and using the tracker/detector mode?
>

> I would greatly appreciate any help on the matter.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Ayeleth.

David Sarrut, Phd
Directeur de recherche CNRS
CREATIS, UMR CNRS 5220, Inserm U1294
Centre de lutte contre le cancer Léon Bérard
28 rue Laënnec, 69373 Lyon cedex 08
Tel : 04 78 78 51 51 / 06 74 72 05 42
http://dsarrut.github.io