[Gate-users] calculation of photon specific absorbed fraction

Matthew Strugari matthew.strugari at dal.ca
Wed Mar 16 18:48:09 CET 2022

What have you attempted so far? And are you using the Digimouse F-18/FDG source distribution or your own distribution? This will determine how you setup your source macro.

Given that the USC group<https://neuroimage.usc.edu/neuro/Digimouse> provides PET, CT, cryosection, and atlas data for the Digimouse, you have a couple of options centered around a voxelized source distribution<https://opengate.readthedocs.io/en/latest/voxelized_source_and_phantom.html?highlight=voxel%20source#example-of-voxelized-source-description-macro>. The hyperlinked source description includes lines for setting up your monoenergetic emissions.

  1.  The PET distribution could be used as your source distribution if you were interested in calculating the SAFs for the specific Digimouse PET acquisition. This would require inserting the PET image for your source then utilizing the linear translator to scale all PET voxel values directly into activities.
  2.  If you were using your own source distribution, and assuming a uniform distribution in your organ of interest, you could use the atlas to define your source organs. This would require inserting the atlas image for your source then utilizing the range translator to convert discretized intervals, i.e. an organ of interest, into activities. You would then need to run a simulation considering the activity in each organ independently.

For determining energy deposition, you’ll need to record your particle interactions in your phantom which requires a similar approach for importing a voxelized phantom<https://opengate.readthedocs.io/en/latest/voxelized_source_and_phantom.html?highlight=voxelized#example-of-voxelized-phantom-description-macro>.

  1.  The CT image could be used as your phantom. This would require inserting the CT image and providing an HUToMaterial file to convert CT values to materials. This can get pretty hairy when accurately converting the CT values to a specific material.
  2.  The atlas could be used as your phantom. This would be the simplest approach given that the atlas is already nicely segmented. Here, you would use a RangeToMaterial file to convert discretized intervals, i.e. an organ of interest, into a material. The Digimouse webpage already categorizes the atlas tissues into the material types suitable for simulation.

>From there, you would likely want to use the DoseActor<https://opengate.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tools_to_interact_with_the_simulation_actors.html?highlight=doseactor#dose-measurement-doseactor> to score the energy deposited. Altogether, this would provide you with all the info necessary for calculating the SAFs.

Regards,
Matthew

--
Matthew Strugari
PhD Candidate at Biomedical Translational Imaging Centre - BIOTIC,