[Gate-users] Unexpected behavior/bug when using the EnergySpectrumActor

Pascal Saße pascal.sasse at uni-oldenburg.de
Thu Jul 21 16:22:23 CEST 2022

Hi everyone,

I have questions concerning the EnergySpectrumActor and would appreciate any help with this matter:

I follow the instructions given in the online documentation and call the actor with:

/gate/actor/addActor  EnergySpectrumActor               Fluenz_C12
/gate/actor/Fluenz_C12/attachTo                                           Voxel
/gate/actor/Fluenz_C12/energySpectrum/setEmin               0 eV
/gate/actor/Fluenz_C12/energySpectrum/setEmax               4800 MeV
/gate/actor/Fluenz_C12/energySpectrum/setNumberOfBins       800
/gate/actor/Fluenz_C12/addFilter                    particleFilter
/gate/actor/Fluenz_C12/particleFilter/addParticle    C12
/gate/actor/Fluenz_C12/saveAsText                              true

In the documentation it states that "By default 3 histograms are enabled: The fluence and energy deposition spectra differential in energy and the energy deposition spectrum as a function of LET."
And further down it is mentioned that by default the outputs are not normalized.
However, when using the actor like this I receive:
The energyEdepSpectrum.txt and the energySpectrumFluenceTrack.txt.
The documentation state that the FluenceTrack is an output that is option and needs to be enabled specifically (which I didn't do).
And I do not receive an Output for the fluence as it is described in the documentation even though it is one of the 3 default outputs.
Lastly the output files state in the header that the results in the second column are relative frequencies normalized (nb divided by NbEvent).

Do I misunderstand the descriptions given in the documentation or do the .txt outputs differ from the expected results.
Most importantly does some one know how I might be able to obtain the fluence using this actor?

With kind regards
Pascal