[Gate-users] Reconstructing an image from root output (cylindrical PET)

APSARA TENNAKOON apsara at connect.hku.hk
Wed Apr 6 23:39:04 CEST 2022

Dear GATE users,

I would like to reconstruct an image from the root output of a cylindrical
PET simulation in GATE. I have used the geometry for the GE Discovery 690
scanner available here:
https://github.com/UCL/STIR-GATE-Connection/tree/master/ExampleScanners/D690

I inserted a water phantom with a cylindrical volume source of F18 (1 MBq)
at its centre. A 10s acquisition produced ~40 000 coincidences.

I am using the Bin_GATE_v1.0 script, modifying the parameters to match this
scanner (GATEPET2STIR does not recognise my root output). I was able to
obtain Proj and Mich files (.s) from this, and produced a corresponding
header file (.hs) using the create_projdata_template utility in STIR.
However, FBP2D reconstruction of this in STIR does not produce the expected
image.

I would appreciate any help identifying where the error may have occurred.
Do I have the correct parameters for the above configuration?

#define  N_RINGS                      24 // DLS: Number of rings
#define  N_SEG                          47 // DLS: Number of segments (2
N_RINGS - 1)
#define  N_DET                         576 // DLS: Detectors per ring
#define  S_WIDTH                     381 // DLS: Number of radial sinogram
bins
#define  N_RSEC                        32 // DLS: Number of rsector
#define  N_MODULE                    1 // DLS: Number of modules
#define  N_MOD_xy                      1 // DLS: Number of tangential
modules
#define  N_MOD_z                        1 // DLS: Number of axial modules
#define  N_SUBMOD                    8 // DLS: Number of submodules
#define  N_SMOD_xy                    2 // DLS: Number of tangential
submodules
#define  N_SMOD_z                     4 // DLS: Number of axial submodules
#define  N_CRYSTAL                 54 // DLS: Number of crystals
#define  N_CRY_xy                      9 // DLS: Number of tangential
crystals
#define  N_CRY_z                        6 // DLS: Number of axial crystals
#define  MAX_D_RING              23 // DLS: Maximum ring difference
#define  N_PLANES                 576.16 // DLS: Total number of sinograms
#define  FOV                           157 // DLS: Width of the FOV (mm)
#define  SLICES_PER_FOV     47 // DLS: Number of slices per FOV
#define  USE_OFFSET               0 // DLS: On/Off use of offset
#define  OFFSET                        0 // DLS: Sets initial sinogram angle

I have shared simulation and reconstruction files here: <
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Ikw5RjaTChpUGw2GK_PoXgIQUIb_Otm>

Thank you!
Apsara Tennakoon