[Gate-users] SPECT without collimator, issue with source?

Maikol Salas Ramirez mmsalas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 10:26:39 CEST 2021

Hi Monika,

I faced a similar problem (in my case, for internal dosimetry). From my
point of view, there are two reliable ways to simulate a source: the *Ion*
description (Geant4/GATE intrinsic) and the ICRP 107 (
https://www.icrp.org/publication.asp?id=ICRP%20Publication%20107) as a
*userSpectrum*. Both source descriptors use the ENSDF database (
https://www.nndc.bnl.gov/ensdf/). The difference stays in how the data is
read; the ICRP 107 uses the software EDISTR04 to read the ENSDF database,
while GEANT4 has the physics processes: 1- G4PhotonEvaporation and  2-
G4RadioactiveDecay, where G4PhotonEvaporation is in charge of the photon
emission yields and G4RadioactiveDecay of the other particles (beta, alpha,
...).
The main difference that I found lay in the very low gamma emissions (in
the order of 10eV or less). I associated this difference with the EDISTR04,
which achieves a very detailed spectrum of x-ray and Auger electrons.
I recommend you to compare both sources Ion vs. ICRP 107. Also to check
your physics list. The 80 keV peak comes from the Ra-224 x-ray emission (
https://www.nndc.bnl.gov/nudat2/decaysearchdirect.jsp?nuc=224RA&unc=nds),
and I would expect that these emissions are included in both radioactive
source descriptors.

Best regards
Maikol