[Gate-users] ICRP 110 AF Phantom

Matthew Strugari matthew.strugari at dal.ca
Sat May 1 00:09:04 CEST 2021

Hi Khalid,

I cannot speak to your specific error, but did you make sure to update the dataDir directory variable in the ICRPtoSTL.py file? Also, I’m not sure if you are referring to Andrew’s README.txt file for organ names, i.e. ‘liver’, but with the ICRP 110 data that I downloaded here<https://www.icrp.org/publication.asp?id=icrp%20publication%20110>, the organ names are actually tagged with their medium number, i.e. ‘liver_30’. You can verify this by uncommenting the line “data.listOrgans()” in the ICRPtoSTL.py file.

The scripts appear to be written for python2 and I was unable to execute the scripts at all due to an import error for VTK. I converted all scripts to python3 with “2to3 -w <name>.py” and implemented the following changes:

  1.  In readICRP.py
-On line 88, I replaced “words = re.split(“ *”, line)” with “words = re.split(r’\W+’, line)” to correct a ValueError which was not properly splitting the contents of line; and

  1.  In dicomToSTL.py
-On line 71, the function expects a 3x1 vector for a kernel radius but Andrew’s implementation only passes a single integer. I admit, I do not know what this radius refers to or how it is applied, maybe someone can shed some light on this, but replacing “organMask=sitk.BinaryClosingByReconstruction(organMask,30)” with “organMask=sitk.BinaryClosingByReconstruction(organMask)” or “organMask=sitk.BinaryClosingByReconstruction(organMask,[30,30,30])”  mitigates the issue and I notice no apparent difference in the output.

I have attached the modified scripts which allows me to execute a conversion, for example, with “python ICRPtoSTL.py female teeth_1” which produces STL files that can be imported into GATE.

Cheers,
Matthew