[Gate-users] job splitting takes too much time

Ashok Tiwari tiwarias at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 23 23:03:26 CEST 2020

 Hi Martin,
I am wondering whether your gjs is working fine. What do you see when you run gjs command? Do you see the following usage message:   +-------------------------------------------+  | gjs -- The GATE cluster job macro spliter |  +-------------------------------------------+
  Usage: gjs [-options] your_file.mac
  Options (in any order):  -a value alias             : use any alias  -numberofsplits, -n   n    : the number of job splits; default=1  -clusterplatform, -c  name : the cluster platform, name is one of the following:                               openmosix - condor - openPBS - SGE - xgrid                               This executable is compiled with SGE as default
  -openPBSscript, -os script : template for an openPBS script                               see the example that comes with the source code (script/openPBS.script)                               overrules the environment variable below
  -SGEscript, -ss script     : template for an SGE script                               see the example that comes with the source code (script/SGE.script)                               overrules the environment variable below
  -condorscript, -cs script  : template for a condor submit file                               see the example that comes with the source code (script/condor.script)  -v                         : verbosity 0 1 2 3 - 1 default
.............................etc?
I think if you see this message then it should run in principle, if not then there might be something wrong with the installation or job submission! I am not familiar with the HT condor cluster, so I cannot give you the specific information but in the SGE cluster, I normally submit the job using the following script: (this is the copy-paste of the script)
#!/bin/bash#
# Queue to submit job#$ -q CCOM,UI
# batch job stderr and stdout#$ -o GC_WORKDIR/GC_LOG#$ -e GC_WORKDIR/GC_ERR
# Job name#$ -N GC_JOBNAME# Use current working directory
#$ -cwd
# print date and timedate
# I want SGE cluster to send me an email# when the job begins and when it ends#$ -M ashok-tiwari at uiowa.edu#$ -m be
# -l h_vmem=20G# Set simulation time
# -l h_rt=24:00:00#$ -pe smp 8
## -l mf=20G

# executableGC_GATE
To use the jobsplitter functionality I submit the job using the following command in the command line:$ gjs -numberofsplits 10 -clusterplatform SGE  ../somedir/script/main.mac
After I hit enter in the command line, it will generate the main.submit file in the same directory within ~seconds. Also at the same time, 10 split macros will be created in the GC_DOT_GATE directory. Then you are supposed to run the main.submit executable file using: ./main.submit to perform a simulation.
Hope this is a little bit helpful.
Best, Ashok