[Gate-users] Divergence between GATE simulation and the reality

Maxime Toussaint Maxime.Toussaint at USherbrooke.ca
Sun May 31 05:37:19 CEST 2020

Honorable Zhengzhi,

Good luck about your task. Keep in mind that with Gate we often define a digitizer for the whole system while a real scanner could have module-dependent characteristics which might explain some of the difference.

About the  Lu167, I believe (Please correct me if I am wrong anyone!) that only explicitly defined "source" can generates primaries(I think that is the term?) by themselves. Thus, you could fill your scanner with Uranium material and it would not generates anything by itself. I am not a physicist, so I do not know what Lu167 does and how. However, it should be doable with the appropriate physic list.

Have a nice day,
Maxime Toussaint

________________________________
De : Albert Grace Lieu <albertnew2018 at gmail.com>
Envoyé : 29 mai 2020 23:58
À : Maxime Toussaint <Maxime.Toussaint at USherbrooke.ca>
Cc : gate-users <gate-users at lists.opengatecollaboration.org>; Peter Olcott <polcott at reflexion.com>
Objet : Re: [Gate-users] Divergence between GATE simulation and the reality

Honorable Maxime,

Thank you very much for your reply and your knowledge. You always give the best suggestion and answers. I definitely have spent much time on digitizer setting, such as singles readout level, deadtime (and deadtime volume), delay, coincidence window and delay window width, function modality (non/paralysable ). I experimented with these parameters for many times, and also validated it against our real data. From the comparison, these settings seem to be alright, but the GATE model gives me more counts  (~25%) than the real system.

One thing worth noticing is that the NEMA sensitivity experiment uses a very low dose (500 uCi). Under such a low count rate, it sounds easy to figure out why GATE has more counts because detector is not saturated and deadtime bearly kick off,  but I have been stuck for about half a month already on this point.

Another point is that does GATE simulate Lu167 decay/deexcitations in its LSO and LYSO material when the material is called in GATE? If not,  how can I add it to my simulation? Sorry about asking this question before doing my own research on this topic.

I will update this topic if I find something interesting regarding this discrepancy between GATE simulation and the real system.
Thank you very much for your time and excellent expertise.

Cheers.
Have a mellow weekend.

Zhengzhi