[Gate-users] Gate ROOT and NPY output comparison

Antoine Merlet ant.merlet at gmail.com
Mon May 18 10:09:13 CEST 2020

Dear Gate users,

With Gate 9.0 we now have the possibility to save simulation output using
the .npy format ( Tree output
<https://opengate.readthedocs.io/en/latest/data_output_management.html#new-unified-tree-output-root-numpy-and-more>
).

I have therefore performed a series of tests in order to see the pros/cons
of both output type regarding speed and size. You can find the results in
this document
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=19Rc4IeWUlFFAy-44JZa95-A4w6o28RJn>. A
separate test performed using my current research showed no difference
between the metrics obtained using the two different outputs, i.e. their
contents are identical.

The testing environment was:

MacBook Pro: Intel i7 2,8GHz, 4 physical cores, 8 logical cores, SSD
ROOT v6.18.04
GEANT4 v10.06.p01
GATE v9.0

*TLDR*: The .npy output data writing is faster than ROOT writing, but the
output is uncompressed, hence heavier. Obtained output data is similar.

Best regards,
Antoine Merlet