[Gate-users] Drilling a Hole on the Phantom

Xinjie Cao xinjie.cao at stonybrook.edu
Fri Jul 31 21:22:12 CEST 2020

Hi Omar,

Thanks for your response. Yes there is an overlap. From my understanding of
your description, did you mean attributing the hole cylinder to another
mother volume so the volumes under the same mother volume won't overlap
with each other?

Actually I just want to drill a hole on a plastic phantom with the same
length as the phantom, and the hierarchy is very simple, a solid cylinder
plastic phantom under the world level with a same length cylinder rod
inserted in it. Do you think it is applicable without overlap?

Best,

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 2:13 PM Omar Bin Sheetan <
omar.binsheetan at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello Xinjie,
>
> As long as there’s no overlapping and every daughter volume is contained
> within its mother volume, I think things should be fine. In my
> understanding, the daughters of  a volume should not intersect (overlap)
> with each other.
>
> In your case, is there an overlap? Have you chosen the right mother volume
> for your air phantom?
>
> Regards
>
> Omar
>

> On Jul 31, 2020, at 3:37 PM, Xinjie Cao <xinjie.cao at stonybrook.edu> wrote:
>

> Dear all,
>
> I used to implement the hole drilling on a phantom as followed,
> ```
> /gate/world/daughters/name phantom1
> /gate/world/daughters/insert cylinder
> /gate/phantom1/placement/setTranslation           0.0 0.0 0.0 mm
> /gate/phantom1/geometry/setRmax                   100. mm
> /gate/phantom1/geometry/setHeight                 500 mm
> /gate/phantom1/setMaterial                              Polyethylene
> #/gate/phantom/vis/forceWireframe
> #/gate/phantom/vis/setColor green
> /gate/phantom1/attachPhantomSD
>
> /gate/world/daughters/name phantom2
> /gate/world/daughters/insert cylinder
> /gate/phantom2/placement/setTranslation           0.0 -25.0 0.0 mm
> /gate/phantom2/geometry/setRmax                   3.0 mm
> /gate/phantom2/geometry/setHeight                 500 mm
> /gate/phantom2/setMaterial                               Air
> #/gate/phantom/vis/forceWireframe
> #/gate/phantom/vis/setColor green
> /gate/phantom2/attachPhantomSD
> ```
> But I have been always thinking whether the air phantom I insert works as
> the drilled hole? Or does it work as a cylinder mixed with polyethylene and
> air?
> Another way to say is whether a new phantom placed within the other
> phantom volume will take the place of the original material or mix with it?
> Any answer would be highly appreciated! Thanks!
>
> Best,
> Xinjie

*....................................................*
*Xinjie Cao*
*M.E. / Ph.D. student*
*Research Project Assistant*
*Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering & Radiology *
*Novel Medical Imaging Technologies Lab*
*Health Science Center Level 8*
*Stony Brook, NY 11794-8460 *
*Tel: +1 (631)202-9445*
you.stonybrook.edu/goldan/people/
*email: **xinjie.cao at stonybroo*k.edu <xinjie.cao at stonybrook.edu>

It is prohibited to distribute or publish the files attached to any other
people unless you get permission from the writer himself. All rights
reserved.