[Gate-users] PET singles rate compression

Twyman, Robert robert.twyman.18 at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 23 13:25:29 CEST 2020

Dear users list,

I have a question regarding the acquisition of a singles rate on each crystal throughout a gate simulation for a cylindrical PET system. I am attempting to estimate random coincidences from singles using:

R_{ij} = 2 \tau S_i S_j

where \tau is the coincidence timing window, S_i and S_j are the Singles rates on the ith and jth crystals. I currently store each Singles event in a root file, but this result in a particularly large number of entires, resulting in a significantly large file size. I have managed to reduce the file size by disabling a lot of the unnecessary variables to save, see documentation: https://opengate.readthedocs.io/en/latest/data_output_management.html#selection-of-the-variables-to-save

My question is, can the singles be summed during the simulation per crystal to reduce file size? Maybe I can improve on my current implementation.

Regards,
Robert Twyman