[Gate-users] Performances: vGate vs Gate on macOS

maxime maxime.chauvin at inserm.fr
Fri Jan 10 11:04:25 CET 2020

Dear Antoine,

yes this is expected. I have seen the same on my macbook, GATE being slightly faster in the vGATE compared to the host (MacOS) with the standard compiling options.

Virtual machines are quite good at using the full CPU power, it is a different story for GPU…

So in the end, the only thing that matters (VM or not) is the clock speed of your CPU. You can slightly increase the performance with compiler options related to your CPU architecture.

For example, we have seen an increase of performance of ~20% on an HPC (https://www.calmip.univ-toulouse.fr/ <https://www.calmip.univ-toulouse.fr/>) with the compiler option "-march=skylake-avx512” for Intel Skylake processors. For this you need to compile both Geant4 and GATE with the compiler optimisation option.

Of course we are talking about performance on a single CPU. You can speed up your simulation by running several sub-simulations on many CPUs.

Best regards,
  Maxime Chauvin