[Gate-users] Is photoneutron yield in Gate/Geant4 underestimated?

John Apostolakis John.Apostolakis at cern.ch
Mon Feb 3 16:55:52 CET 2020

Dear Johannes,

John
John Apostolakis,  EP Department, CERN

On 3 Feb 2020, at 16:13, von Vangerow Johannes <Johannes.vonVangerow at ptw.de<mailto:Johannes.vonVangerow at ptw.de>> wrote:

Hi,

I am just starting to perform simulations in Gate including Neutrons. Concerning that, I performed a simulation with 15MeV photons impinging on a thin (10µm) target. The simulation in Gate / Geant4 yields about a factor 3 less neutrons than a simple calculation using the respective crosssection. So far I tested W and Pb.

In a publication „Quantification of the validity of simulations based on Geant4 and FLUKA for photo-nuclear interactions in the high energy range“<https://www.epj-conferences.org/articles/epjconf/pdf/2017/22/epjconf_icrs2017_06023.pdf> it is stated that Geant4 underestimates the Neutron production. Is this really true? I am using the QGSP_BIC_HP physics list.

Best regards

Johannes

Dr. Johannes von Vangerow
Software Development

Phone: +49 761 49055-367
Fax:      +49 761 49055-70
Email:  Johannes.vonVangerow at ptw.de<mailto:Johannes.vonVangerow at ptw.de>
.
PTW-Freiburg Physikalisch-Technische Werkstätten Dr. Pychlau GmbH
Lörracher Str. 7 | 79115 Freiburg, Germany
www.ptw.de<http://www.ptw.de/> | Follow us: LinkedIn<https://de.linkedin.com/company/ptw-/>
.
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Christian Pychlau, Dr. Tobias Schüle
Registergericht Freiburg HRB Nr. 1673 | WEEE Reg.-Nr. DE 15599992
.

<ptw_logo.jpg>

Gate-users mailing list
Gate-users at lists.opengatecollaboration.org<mailto:Gate-users at lists.opengatecollaboration.org>