[Gate-users] Measuring the Energy Spectrum

Miriam Dixon miriam.gatemc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 02:17:14 CEST 2020

Hello,

I want to measure the energy spectrum of my source as seen by my SPECT
detector (after the energy blurring has been applied by the digitizer). I
tried using the EnergySpectrumActor, as described below, but the peak
appeared narrower than I expected. I tried changing the energy resolution
value in my digitizer (also described below) but changing the value made no
difference to the shape of the energy spectrum.
How do I measure the energy spectrum after the blurring is applied - am I
using the wrong actor?

#Energy Spectrum Actor
/gate/actor/addActor   EnergySpectrumActor          Energy
/gate/actor/Energy/save
output/EnergyScoring.root
/gate/actor/Energy/energySpectrum/setEmin           90 eV
/gate/actor/Energy/energySpectrum/setEmax           170 keV
/gate/actor/Energy/energySpectrum/setNumberOfBins   80
/gate/actor/Energy/enableNbPartSpectrum             true
/gate/actor/Energy/attachTo                         crystal_volume

# Energy Blurring in Digitizer
/gate/digitizer/Singles/insert blurring
/gate/digitizer/Singles/blurring/setLaw inverseSquare
/gate/digitizer/Singles/blurring/inverseSquare/setResolution 0.15
/gate/digitizer/Singles/blurring/inverseSquare/setEnergyOfReference 140.0
keV

I am using GATE v9.0 and my source is Tc-99m (140 keV photons).

Many thanks,
Miriam