[Gate-users] No coincidences when using generic repeater in PET

Christian Pommranz pommranz at astro.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Feb 13 10:44:53 CET 2019

Hello Étienne,

I experienced the same problem some time ago and wrote a patch to fix
this for Gate v8.1.p01. This patch is rather a hack than a generic
solution (it might or might not break other geometries), so I did not
send it to upstream, yet. Maybe it works for your geometry.

The attached patch should cleanly apply on top of Gate v8.1.p01 with
'git apply coincidences_for_generic_repeater.patch'. Don't forget to
recompile Gate after applying the patch.

Best regards,
Christian

Am Dienstag, den 12.02.2019, 10:26 -0500 schrieb Étienne Auger:
> Hello fellow Gate users,
>
> I am simulating a PET scanner which is made up of 48 modules. I want
> to set the orientation and position of each module differently and
> independently for each of them. Thus, I thought of using the
> "PETscanner" template provided by Gate, and attaching my module to
> "level1". This module would be repeated by a "genericRepeater", with
> which, in an external  module.placements file, I would define the
> orientations and positions of the modules. To begin, I specified the
> orientations and positions of perfectly placed modules (to obtain the
> same geometry as if I would use a "ring" repeater). Everything works
> as expected (when I visualize my geometry, all is good) except that
> there are no coincidences recorded while simulating, although there
> are singles.
>
> When I replace the "genericRepeater" by a "ring" repeater, I then get
> coincidences but not the flexibility to position my modules
> arbitrarily. It seems that using a "genericRepeater" prevents one
> from getting coincidences. This seems to be a bug that others in this
> forum have observed. I wonder if there is something that can be done
> to fix this issue.
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> Étienne Auger
Christian Pommranz

Institute for Astronomy and Astrophysics
Kepler Center for Astro and Particle Physics
Eberhard Karls University Tübingen
Sand 1
D-72076 Tübingen
Germany