[Gate-users] Dose Uncertainty

David Boersma david.boersma at acmit.at
Thu Aug 1 11:09:28 CEST 2019

Hello Josh,

Ideally you would find answers to such questions in our documentation. In our old docs ...:

http://wiki.opengatecollaboration.org/index.php/Users_Guide:Tools_to_Interact_with_the_Simulation_:_Actors#Dose_measurement_.28DoseActor.29

... and in the new (same text, different format) docs ...:

https://opengate.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tools_to_interact_with_the_simulation_actors.html#dose-measurement-doseactor

... it just says "The uncertainty is the relative statistical uncertainty." In other words, the error is unit-less, the value 0.001135445931 in your example means that the relative uncertainty (standard deviation divided by the value) is 0.11%.

For calculating this relative uncertainty, the "DoseActor" code actually computes the ratio of the "standard deviation of the dose per primary" and the "dose per primary". So in addition to the "dose" (sums of doses due to each successive primary) and "dosesquare" (sum of squares of doses due to each successive primary), the number of primaries is a necessary ingredient of the calculation. Especially if you want to compute the combined uncertainty of several simulations. For the full monty read Chetty 2006, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2006.03.039. 😊

Hope that helps,

David