[Gate-users] Problems installing Gate v8.0

David Boersma david.boersma at acmit.at
Tue Oct 23 12:00:25 CEST 2018

Hello Aida,

First: we recommend that you should always try to use the newest stable release, which is currently 8.1. Same holds in principle for ROOT. If you insist on ROOT 5 and you compile it yourself from source, then please take the latest one (currently 5.34.36), check https://root.cern.ch/releases. Note that with gcc 6 and newer, ROOT 5 no longer compiles (at least it didn't when I tried). With ROOT 6 you are a bit more future proof. [😊]

Second: those build errors can arise for several reasons.

* The simplest would be that after installing ROOT (maybe somewhere in your home directory) you forgot to run "source /path/to/ROOT/bin/thisroot.sh" in the shell where you started building Gate.

* Another possibility is that you specified some options in the configuring step of your ROOT build and accidentally disabled something that is apparently needed by Gate.

* Yet another possibility is that you have several ROOT installations on your system, and in your ~/.bashrc you have some lines which are setting your environment to use one of those installs, not the one you want. (Using .bashrc in this way is really bad, and this sketched problem is one of the reasons.)

Could you check if any of these potential issues is relevant for your case? If not, then I (or someone else) will have to generate some more hypotheses. [😊]

HTH,

David