[Gate-users] Kill actor (P. T.)

Moritz Schaar schaar at imt.uni-luebeck.de
Mon May 28 14:45:35 CEST 2018

Hi Pat,

you can use the "KillActor" in combination with a "particleFilter". An example from the wiki would be:
/gate/actor/addActor     KillActor                    MyActor
/gate/actor/MyActor/save                              MyOutputFile.txt
/gate/actor/MyActor/attachTo                          MyVolume
/gate/actor/MyActor/addFilter                         particleFilter
/gate/actor/MyActor/particleFilter/addParticle        e-
/gate/actor/MyActor/particleFilter/addParticle        e+

From my experience, this stops the track whenever a given particle type (here e- or e+) enters the volume labeled "MyVolume" and generates a hit at the entrance positon.
This will be used correctly in the digitizer afterwards.
I used this setup for my PET application and successfully filtered gamma events.
But be aware, that at least for Gate v7.2 this results in significant increase of memory consumption while simulating. This gets worse the longer you simulate.
I tried to solve the issue by playing with settings like " setResetDataAtEachRunFlag" and other options but did not manage to succeed.
Maybe another GATE user can jump in and help at this point.

Best,
Moritz