[Gate-users] positron range and track length

Ashok Tiwari tiwarias at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 00:40:08 CEST 2018

Dear Gaters,

1. I am simulating positron range in different materials. Using O15 particle source, I have obtained average range of positron as 2.2 mm, using 100000 bq activity and for Ion source range is 1.976 mm. Could anyone tell me what might be cause of this discrepancy?

Attached you will find both positron range plots, I think there might be some problem on data set below 0.5 MeV, above 0.5 MeV both plots seems similar. Is that possible? I have defined the ion source as follows:

/gate/source/addSource  O15Source
/gate/source/O15Source/setActivity 100000. becquerel
/gate/source/O15Source/gps/particle ion
/gate/source/O15Source/gps/ion 8 15 0  0
/gate/source/O15Source/gps/energytype Mono
/gate/source/O15Source/gps/monoenergy 0. MeV
/gate/source/O15Source/gps/angtype iso
/gate/source/O15Source/gps/number 1
/gate/source/O15Source/gps/centre 0. 0. 0. cm
/gate/source/O15Source/gps/type Volume
/gate/source/O15Source/gps/shape Sphere
/gate/source/O15Source/gps/radius 0.05  mm

/gate/source/O15Source/gps/confine world
/gate/source/list

 2. I am also using the track length actor to store the track of positrons. I think this track length is positron range in. But the plots, I am getting i.e attached figure ( O15_Particle_source_Pos_range_in_water.png) is different than figure named (Tracklength.png). Can we use track length actor to store positron range i. e track length of positron? I have used the  following macros to store each tracks:

/gate/actor/addActor                    TrackLengthActor  TLA
/gate/actor/TLA/save                    tracklength.root
/gate/actor/TLA/setLmin                 0 mm
/gate/actor/TLA/setLmax                 10 mm
/gate/actor/TLA/setNumberOfBins         200
/gate/actor/TLA/attachTo                phantom

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Regards,
Ashok Tiwari
Ph.D. Student
Univ. of Iowa