[Gate-users] Hits.dat question simplified

Marcin Balcerzyk m.balcerzyk at csic.es
Fri Jul 27 15:10:05 CEST 2018

Hi Gaters and Uwe.

I have a question to Hits.dat ascii file produced in PET scanner simulation.
Below is the image of the table taken from Hits.dat. In two last rows are
data for photoelectric event in high density material like LSO with Lu atom.

You can see that stepLength for photoelectric event is 8.5 mm, which for a
63 keV photon in LSO is highly unlikely. My question is what does step
length associated with first hit in the crystal really correspond to? Is it
a path in the crystal until the photoelectric event, so the step length is
counted only within crystal which is in my case a sensitive detector?

Regards

Marcin Balcerzyk, Ph.D.
Unidad Ciclotrón,

Centro Nacional de Aceleradores,

Universidad de Sevilla-CSIC-Junta de Andalucía,

Parque Tecnológico Cartuja 93,

c/Thomas Alva Edison Nº 7,

Tel.: (+34) 954 460 553 ext. 236,
Fax: (+34) 954 460 145,