[Gate-users] MESH in GATE

Maxime Chauvin maxime.chauvin at inserm.fr
Fri Feb 9 14:10:33 CET 2018

Dear Maikol,

GATE use the surface described by the mesh file to create a solid. Like you saw with your example it produce a volume with the material you specified.
The GATE class that read the .stl mesh file and creates a solid uses the Geant4 class G4TessellatedSolid.

In the GATE documentation:
http://wiki.opengatecollaboration.org/index.php/Users_Guide:Defining_a_geometry#How_to_build_a_.22tessellated.22_volume <http://wiki.opengatecollaboration.org/index.php/Users_Guide:Defining_a_geometry#How_to_build_a_.22tessellated.22_volume>

In the Geant4 documentation:
https://geant4.web.cern.ch/geant4/UserDocumentation/UsersGuides/ForApplicationDeveloper/html/Detector/Geometry/geomSolids.html#tessellated-solids <https://geant4.web.cern.ch/geant4/UserDocumentation/UsersGuides/ForApplicationDeveloper/html/Detector/Geometry/geomSolids.html#tessellated-solids>

Hope this helps,
  Maxime Chauvin