[Gate-users] MESH in GATE

maik sal mmsalas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 10:59:33 CET 2018

 Dear Gate-Users

Someone knows how GATE interprets the Mesh structures, mainly Mesh
structures are a shell, I mean it only represents the surface and inside
are empty. Only Volumetric Mesh (3D Mesh) are full inside, then I am not
sure if Gate interprets the mesh surface as a boundary and everything
inside in an specific material or I have to use Volumetric Mesh (3D Mesh).

*Wikipedia definition:  Volumetric meshes are a polygonal representation of
the interior volume of an object. Unlike polygon meshes
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon_mesh>, which represent only the
surface as polygons, volumetric meshes also discretize the interior
structure of the object*

In some test that I made to mask a source, it looks like GATE interprets
the volume inside of the surface as a volume with the specific material
that I specified, but if someone knows this with more detail I appreciate
your help.

Best regards

Maikol