[Gate-users] time reduction : Gate clustering

Hermann Fuchs hermann.fuchs at meduniwien.ac.at
Thu Apr 12 10:19:42 CEST 2018

Dear Alexandre,

yes and no. :-)

I assume you are using the GateJobSplitter gjs.

If you simulate the same number of particles 10 times, you get more
statistics, but end up with the same simulation time.

You would need to reduce the number of particles per split.

What the splitting does, is to create copies of the original simulation.
So if you simulate 100 particles, each of the splitted simulations will
also simulate 100 particles. Best practise is to reduce the number of
particles of the original simulation by the splitting factor.

All the best,

Hermann

Am 12.04.2018 um 10:11 schrieb Alexandre CARRÉ:
> Hello Gate Users,
>
> Something intrigues me about splitting simulation on cluster.
> Example, If I run a simulation on 1 core and it takes 40 minutes.
> Shouldn't I have this time reduced by 10 if I split my simulation on
> 10 cores?
> That is not the case. Each simulation takes 40 min on each of the cores.
> So I don't save time using clustering...
> How can this problem be fixed?
>
> Best regards

DI Hermann Fuchs, PhD
Christian Doppler Laboratory for Medical Radiation Research for Radiation Oncology
Department of Radiotherapy
Medical University Vienna
Währinger Gürtel 18-20
A-1090 Wien