[Gate-users] Dose Calculation interface problem?

Kirchhof, Simon s.kirchhof at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Sep 26 14:57:57 CEST 2017

Dear Theodora, Dear GATE community,

I stumbled across your email today and I wanted to add some thoughts about GATE's dose actor:

GATE's dose actor does not seem to communicate with the Geant4 navigator, i.e. it does not limit the geometrical step size. Hence, for photons in homogeneous volumes the step size of the simulation can be (much) bigger than the resolution of the dose actor. Depending on the position used for scoring, i.e. "pre-step-position", "post-step-position" or something in between, the assignment of an energy deposition to a voxel can be off, for the mentioned case.

Do the irregularities you observe occur for all HitTypes, i.e. "pre, post, middle, random"?

What you might observe is: You add a volume, you add a boundary, the stepping changes due to the (virtual) boundary. The stepping positions are distributed differently and that might change the result of GATE's dose actor.

Any thoughts from the Dose Actor developers? Do you agree/disagree?

Best regards,

Simon