[Gate-users] How do you synchronize a moving detector (SPECT) with a source (Proton Beam)?

David Boersma david.boersma at igp.uu.se
Tue Sep 12 10:19:29 CEST 2017

Hi Kurt,

As far as I know the time dependence / motion functionality not yet
supported for proton therapy applications in GATE.

I myself am studying the effect of patient motion on dose distributions
in pencil beam scanning proton therapy. I have been brooding about ways
to extend the source and treatment plan descriptions in GATE to have a
time variable, but it seemed excessive to do deep surgery in the code
just for my use case. I worked around it by subdividing the simulation
in time slices, grouping time slices with identical geometry, simulating
those groups separately, and then recombining the results afterwards.
That was good enough for a prototype of our study.

Proton therapy combined with time dependent imaging is a very
interesting use case. Are you simulating with a single pencil beam or
with the TPSPencilBeam actor?

David B.