[Gate-users] Absorbed dose only In VOI's

David Boersma david.boersma at igp.uu.se
Thu Oct 5 12:17:43 CEST 2017

Dear Faical,

It all depends on what you put and what you try to get out of it. :)

If I understand your question (1) correctly, you would like to get some
kind of absolute calibration. Unfortunately I have no clue what your
dose figure is displaying.

Typically the number Nprim of primaries is orders of magnitude lower
than the number Nreal of particles emitted in the real setup. The images
which contain "only the spatial distribution" are actually already given
in Gray (J/kg), but because Nprim is much lower than Nreal, the values
you see for the dose seem extremely low. You need to multiply this
distribution with a scale factor, basically with Nreal/Nprim. It's
basically *your* job to figure out how to compute this factor.

One way to do it is that you use the details of your setup including
calibration information of the treatment devices to compute "Nreal".
Since "Nprim" is a number that you choose yourself in your simulation,
you then have the correct scaling factor.

If you do not really have the ambition to do an absolute calibration
then you could maybe just assume a certain dose level at a particular
point (or an average dose in a particular region), and then the ratio of
that assumed/prescribed dose and the dose that you actually find for
that point (or region) in your simulation could be used as the overall
scaling factor for the whole distribution.

I think I do not understand question (2). In my own work, we do not give
a single dose number for the whole ROI (or "VOI" as you call it), but
instead we summarize the dose distribution as a "dose volume histogram",
which is basically a reverse cumulative histogram of the dose values in
all voxels within the ROI. There is AFAIK not a tool built-in to Gate to
produce this. And as already stated before, I very much doubt whether I
interpret your intended meaning of "the cumulated dose in this VOI"
correctly.

Disclaimer: I may be completely wrong here in my interpretations of your
questions. If I accidentally wrote something useful then that is nice. I
think that it would be good to talk directly with your supervisor or
other local expert in your own lab or research institute, about the
dosimetry aspect of your small animal setup and how to relate that to
your simulation.

Good luck,
David B.