[Gate-users] How do you perform Image Reconstruction for a SPECT based Imaging procedure?

tmerlin Thibaut.Merlin at univ-brest.fr
Thu Nov 2 17:57:17 CET 2017

Dear Kurt, and all,

Regarding CASToR, as Panagiotis and Konstantinos mentioned, the software
contains several tools to convert a GATE output root file to a datafile
format, which can then be used by CASToR for reconstruction. They are
described in the section 8.2 of the documentation
(http://www.castor-project.org/sites/default/files/2017-10/CASToR_general_documentation.pdf)

For SPECT reconstruction, the conversion tool requires to divide the
crystal surface in "virtual" pixels (assuming a pixel matrix was not
already defined in the macros), by selecting a number of
transaxial/axial pixels which the singles will be assigned to, depending
on their detected position. It is done through the command-line options
of the conversion tool.

Several information about the geometry of the gamma cameras will be read
from the macros files of the simulation (i.e number of heads, crystal
dimensions, number of projections, etc..). These tools have some
limitations, such as they will not recover information about the
collimator from the macro files (parallel collimator will be set by
default). CASToR uses different models to mimic the effect of different
collimators (parallel, cone-beam, fan-beam, mono or multi convergent,
etc..). These models are described in the section 5.2 of the
documentation. The model and their parameters must be set manually.

I can share with you some sample shell scripts to use these tools if you
wish.

Best regards,

Thibaut

On 01/11/2017 14:11, Panagiotis Papadimitroulas wrote:

> Dear Kurt,
>

> As Konstantinos mentioned, there are several tools to apply
> reconstruction on the SPECT simulated data.
>
> A first step is to extract the projections of your SPECT imaging
> acquisition. There is one possibility to save them directly in
> projection format through GATE, or to extract them from your root file.
>
> In our group we are extracting the projections from the root files in
> order to do the reconstruction, using the QSPECT tool. If you want we
> can share with you these .c scripts to create your own projections
> from root.
>
> Also using the Castor software, I think you can apply directly the
> reconstruction using as input the root file.
>
> Thus I would recommend you to run your simulations, saving your
> output  in .root format.
>

> Kind regards,
> Panagiotis
>

> --
> Panagiotis Papadimitroulas
> Project Director, PhD
> BET Solutions
> 116 Alexandras Av.
> 11472 Athens
> Greece
>
> Tel: +30 2130290586
> Fax: +30 2130290587
> Web: www.betsolutions.gr
> e-mail: panpap at betsolutions.gr

Thibaut MERLIN -- PhD

Docteur en Imagerie Médicale au Laboratoire de Traitement de l'Information Medicale (LaTIM - INSERM UMR 1101)
Bâtiment 1
CHRU Morvan - 2, Av. Foch
29609 Brest CEDEX - FRANCE
Tel: 06.75.12.24.90