[Gate-users] Dose Value in mGy

Andreas Resch andreas.resch at meduniwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 28 14:50:09 CEST 2017

Hi Emmanuel,

I just made some tests with the DoseActor, the units of:
energy deposition image is: MeV
dose image: Gray = J/kg = eV*q/kg

so if you simulate 1 particle you get the energy (or dose depending on
what you select) deposition map of 1 particle. If you simulate 10^3
particles, you get the sum of energy depositions of all these 10^3
particles. This is important if you simulate a lower (or higher) number
of particles than "reality". You have to scale accordingly.

If you want the total energy deposition in your phantom, you can sum up
all voxels' values. If you want the total dose deposition it is (total
edep)/(total volume). If you only have dose image enabled, you can sum
the doses over all voxels and divide by the number of voxels to account
for the increased volume (total Volume = Number of voxels * voxel
volume). But only if your phantom is homogeneous.

So as Alessio mentioned, it is easier to work with the energy deposition
rather than dose. I hope this helps and please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
Andreas

I hope this helps. Correct me if I am wrong.