[Gate-users] Fixed Forced Detection algorithm: de-noising required?

Triltsch, Nicolas nicolas.triltsch at tum.de
Wed Jun 28 11:27:03 CEST 2017

Hello Gate community, hallo Simon Rit,

I have a general question to the implementation of the fixed forced
detection algorithm.

Is there a de-noising step performed at the end of one simulation run
(as reported by  Colijn & Beekman 2004 or Mainegra-Hing & Kawrakow 2008)
or does the implementation follow the fixed forced scheme ( Poludniowski
et al. 2009) where no de-noising step is required, because scatter is
registered at nodal points at the detector followed by linear
interpolation.

If the latter is used, then I wonder why 10^5 to 10^6 photons are
required to obtain low uncertainty images, because in the mentioned
paper they use only 10^3 to 10^4 photons to gain reasonable results.

Cheers and I appreciate any help!

Nico

--
B.Sc. Nicolas Triltsch
Masterand

Technische Universität München
Physik-Department
Lehrstuhl für Biomedizinische Physik E17

James-Franck-Straße 1
85748 Garching b. München

Tel: +49 89 289 12591

nicolas.triltsch at tum.de