[Gate-users] Simple Particle Counting Actor

David Boersma david.boersma at igp.uu.se
Thu Jun 8 10:26:22 CEST 2017

Hi Akiv,

It looks like you are looking for the phase space actor. Phase spaces
can be used as input to a simulation, but also as output. A phase space
actor attached a geometrical volume will collect a list of all particles
that go through that volume. The favorite way to store this is in a
"ROOT tree". The number of "entries" in the tree is the total number of
particles (both primaries and secondaries) entering the volume, and you
can use "the power of ROOT" to count subgroups of those particles (e.g.
only primaries, or only particles with kinetic energy larger than some
threshold value, etc).

Examples can be found here:
./benchmarks/benchImageNavigators/pet/mac/main.mac
./examples/example_dosimetry/brachytherapy/mac/main.mac
./examples/example_Radiotherapy/example4/mac/main.mac
./examples/example_Radiotherapy/example5/mac/main.mac
./examples/example_vpgtle/stage2/mac/main.mac

The radiotherapy examples have a 'PhS-Analysis.C' root macro that may
help you get started with analyzing the contents of a phase space ROOT file.

(If you use Gate v8.0 or the development version from GitHub, then the
examples are not included in the source tarball; you'll find them here:
https://github.com/OpenGATE/GateContrib )

Good luck,
David B.