[Gate-users] Problems with unique forbid region in cold source

Pedro Correia pmcorreia at ua.pt
Sat Jan 28 11:38:52 CET 2017

Dear Gate users

I’m facing a problem using the cold source macro in Gate 7.2, I can only have one forbid region where I want to have two, and I don’t understand why.

What I’m trying to do is to mimic a portion of a NEMA NU4 phantom like in the picture below. What I try to do this is to generate a cylindrical source (named F18_Source_BotCylinder) filled with radioactive material, and then define two separated volumes, the smaller cylinders, as water and air, and mark them as a forbid region in the original source. The commands that I’m using are

/gate/source/F18_Source_BotCylinder/gps/Forbid  BotCylinderHole1
/gate/source/F18_Source_BotCylinder/gps/Forbid  BotCylinderHole2

The GATE output is this

Confirming activity forbidden in volume 'BotCylinderHole1_phys'...
 Activity forbidden in volume 'BotCylinderHole1_phys' confirmed
Confirming activity forbidden in volume 'BotCylinderHole2_phys'…
 Activity forbidden in volume 'BotCylinderHole2_phys’ confirmed

But then I don’t know if it assumes the command for the two volumes or if it overrides the previous command.

The image that I get after image reconstruction with matlab is showing only one of the holes, only the last one in the command above. Is it suporte to happen with the Forbid command, we can only forbid a unique volume or should I be able to forbid as many regions as I want?

Thank ou very much
[cid:17BE3B77-149F-40E0-B58F-8785F7210E80 at Belkin]

[cid:CE859924-A50C-4FEB-884A-DDECB281771C at Belkin]

Pedro CorreiaPhD Student in Applied and Engineering Physics
Physics Department
University of Aveiro
Campus Universitario de Santiago,
3810-193 Aveiro, Portugal