[Gate-users] How can I speed up the simulation

Liliana Caldeira llcaldeira at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:50:58 CET 2017

Dear Ezzat,

Regarding your two questions:
1. How to make GATE work with GPU: http://wiki.opengatecollaborat
ion.org/index.php/Compilation_Instructions_V7.2#GPU_.26_CUDA_tools
In the french link, I go to the 14.04 or 16.04 version:
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/cuda (not 11.4, but maybe you are in a different
page).
Before you use GATE for GPU, you need to download 2 packages which are the
CUDA toolkit provided by NVIDIA and the GPU computing SDK.
However, as far as I understood SDK comes together with the toolkit now (
https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit), therefore in cmake they should
point to the same folder.
Cuda toolkit instructions here: https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

2. There are many ways to increase the simulation performance besides GPUs:
- output, e.g. ROOT output is usually faster than ASCII output. Only save
the events that you are interested in (Hits, Singles, Coincidences).
- using cuts
- not using voxelized phantoms unless necessary
- using cluster tools, if you have access to several CPUs.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Cheers,
Liliana