[Gate-users] Dose(mGy) vs Nruns

Emmanuel Marfo emmanuel.marfo at postgrad.otago.ac.nz
Thu Aug 24 10:00:46 CEST 2017

Hi Gaters,

Recently, I reported on carrying out CT dosimetry where I want to record doses from a different number of runs or times. I am not using any radioactive source in my simulation just an imported x-ray spectrum. Based on David advice early on the two options of starting GATE simulation. I tried the following

/gate/application/setTotalNumberOfPrimaries 10000
/gate/application/start
and
/gate/application/setNumberofPrimariesPerRun 10000
/gate/application/start
All the above gave me the same results and I could not move my gantry even though I have rotation defined.
What I have done is to replace
/gate/application/setTotalNumberOfPrimaries 10000
with
/gate/source/sourcename/setActivity 10000 Bq thereby using

/gate/application/setTimeStart  0. s
/gate/application/setTimeSlice  1  s
/gate/application/setTimeStop  1 s
/gate/application/startDAQ
Using this idea, I will able to record higher doses as I increase the number of runs. I think am getting the results I expected but not sure is the correct way to go about as the start up protocol is kind of strictly for PET.
If what I have done is wrong. I would require the help of someone who has done a similar CT dosimetry simulation to help me do my first simulation. Thanks

Best regards,
Emmanuel Marfo
University of Otago
Student