[Gate-users] comparison of GATE dose with treatment planning system

G Tom gregthom992 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 17:55:40 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I have done a test simulation with 10^9 particles a cluster for a photon
beam incident on a water phantom with a 10x10 jaw phase space files.I
recorded the dose in the phantom using DoseActor.

Now, I would like to compare the dose results with those obtained from
treatment planning sotware.

I can normalize the dose and compare in a relative sence but that raises
the issue of what to normalize to ? the average of a region around the
center of the field ? The centre of the field ? What are some other
options?.

The other thing is how can one compare the two dose ( GATE output and
treatment planning software) in an absolute sense ? One needs to
"calibrate" the GATE output in the same way as the treatment planning
software but I am not sure how to go about this.

Any ideas ?

GT