[Gate-users] Issues Modelling Beta Emitters

Matthew Galloway m.galloway.work at outlook.com
Thu Jun 30 16:36:47 CEST 2016

Dear GATE users,

Hello. This is my first time using this list, so I must apologise in advance if this message is long-winded or includes any well-known issues within GATE. However, I have been using GATE for some time and have searched the archive for any relevant information prior to posting.

I am simulating a radionuclide calibrator within my department. Essentially I am trying to model the energy deposition within a fill gas. I am fairly confident with the geometry I have developed, but I am experiencing issues which I cannot explain.  Results obtained with high and low energy gamma emitting sources (10s keV to MeV energies) agree well with published results (within approximately 2%), however, when simulating beta emitters I am obtaining results approximately 30 - 50% lower than published data. The beta sources I am currently modelling are P-32 and Y-90 (max kinetic energy ~ 2MeV).

I am including characteristic x-rays, auger electrons, multiple scattering, ionisation and bremsstrahlung in my physics list. My question to the list is whether there are any suggestions that you could make regarding this model, which may explain the discrepancy I'm noticing? Or indeed, whether there are any well-known issues with any of the physical models that I have implemented. I would also be interested to hear if anyone else has attempted a similar project, either with Geant4 or any other MC simulator.

I'm more than happy to discuss on or off list and to provide further information regarding my macro etc

Kind Regards,

Matthew Galloway
Nuclear Medicine Physicist
Department of Nuclear Medicine | East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust | Kent and Canterbury Hospital | Ethelbert Road | Canterbury | Kent | CT1 3NG | Direct Line: 01227 864199 (internal extension 722 4199)