[Gate-users] RE : Gold nano particles in a voxelized phantom

REUZE SYLVAIN SYLVAIN.REUZE at gustaveroussy.fr
Sat Feb 27 11:52:53 CET 2016

Dear Mahdjoub,

It is really difficult to modelize the real shape of nanoparticles in a voxelized phantom because of the difference between scales.
I tried Mesbahi et al. method of meshing (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3648909/) but it was impossible to reproduce a similar geometry, with 10^9 NPs using Gate.

Finally, I had to create new materials in the GateMaterialDatabase in order to mimic an homogeneous mixture of gold nanoparticles at several concentrations, and water (or soft tissue). We had good results in voxelized phantoms created in Gate, but it was a little more difficult in CT-based phantoms of real patients.

If you want to work at the nanometric scale to study Auger effect at a few nanometers from nanoparticles, you can create a 3D meshing with a few nanoparticles in a micrometric phantom (or just one nanoparticle in a spherical or cubic phantom). But in my opinion, it is not realistic to reproduce the real layout of nanoparticles in a human scale phantom.

Best regards,

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Reuzé