[Gate-users] GATE: Voxelized source/phantom speed issue on CPU and error cut off values

David Boersma david.boersma at physics.uu.se
Sat Dec 17 14:56:07 CET 2016

Hi Jennifer,

I am confused. In the first sentence you mention that you have speed
issues, which implies that it is running normally, only slow. But in the
last sentence you mention that you get an error message (missing
phantom) which implies it is *not* running normally, the run gets
aborted already during the initialization phase. I must be
misunderstanding your question.

I have not yet used the job splitter myself (the one in
"cluster_tools"). But I would recommend to first try running things
first without the job splitter, and to verify that the output is
correct. Only after you are confident that you are getting correct
results you should try to make it faster. (And after you did that, you
need to check again that the result is still correct...)

One way to get errors regarding the missing phantom is by forgetting to
download the examples and benchmark data. In order to get them you need
to set the corresponding flags from OFF to ON during the cmake step.
(This is assuming that you are indeed running one of the examples. If
you run your own code on your own data then you do not need these
example/benchmark data.)

Some practical questions:

(1) Which script are you trying to run? If it is not one of the
examples, could you send your "mac" file to this mailing list?

(2) Are you sure that the input data is present on your system?
Specifically, if you are running e.g.
examples/example_PHANTOM_SOURCE/Voxelized_Phantom_Source/VoxelizedPhantom.mac,
which uses brain_phantom.h33, could you check that brain_phantom.h33
exists and is not a broken link?

(3) If you still get errors after check (2): please quote the full error
output.

(4) If you do not get errors any more, Gate produces a sensible output
file but it's just slow: please tell us how long it took, and on what
kind of a system you are running (how much RAM, what kind of CPU with
what kind of clock speed, do you run everything on a local disk or are
there network disks involved?).

Good luck,
David Boersma