[Gate-users] 2D dose distribution on film dosimeters

Andreas Resch andreas.resch at meduniwien.ac.at
Fri Dec 16 13:32:04 CET 2016

Hi Sonja,

I have not tried to simulate films, but generally your step limiter
should be lower than your scoring voxel size (and to avoid artifacts, I
would also suggest using a step limiter which is n times smaller than
your voxel size, where n is an integer and not a real number). As far as
I know, a step in Geant4 is either limited by a geometrical boundary,
step limiter or physical process. In the Bragg peak, I observed steps
mostly being limited by physical processes, whereas in the entrance
plateau it is limited by the step limiter or geometrical boundaries when
you use a voxelized geometry. In your case, your maximum step size would
be roughly 30 um if your active layer is inside of a geometrical box
with thickness 30 um and the maximum step limiter is greater than 30 um.
Note that a scoring grid (defined in the "actor") in Gate does not make
a geometrical boundary in the simulation. You can define individual step
limiters to several geometries:

/gate/physics/SetMaxStepSizeInRegion world 1 mm
/gate/physics/SetMaxStepSizeInRegion myPhantom 100 um

(usually higher accuracy with lower step limiter, but also increased
computation time)

You can check the step lengths e.g. with the phase space actor.

cheers,
Andreas

--
-------------------------

ANDREAS RESCH, M.SC.
PhD student, Medical Physics

MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA
Department of Radiotherapy
Christian Doppler Laboratory for Medical Radiation Physics for Radiation
Oncology

Waehringer Guertel 18-20, 1090 Wien
Ph: +43 (0)1 40400-72710
Ph: +43 (0)2622 26100-931