[Gate-users] Unable to make connecting path between Gate and Root

David Boersma david.boersma at physics.uu.se
Thu Dec 1 11:18:05 CET 2016

Hi Robert,

In the first figures you showed that you were trying to tell the build
system to use a ROOT 6 installation. GATE release 7.2 needs version 5
(it's a small fix in the GATE source code to make it work with ROOT 6,
you'll find that described in other messages here on the list, but for
now I recommend that you stick with ROOT 5).

Then in the later figures you show that you tried to tell cmake that a
ROOT 5 install (good!) should be found in a system directory,
specifically in figure 10 you give the ROOTCINT location as
/usr/local/lib/root_v5.34.36c/root/bin/rootcint, but you do not show
that ROOT is indeed installed in that directory. You do show (in figure
8) the "ls" output for a ROOT install in ~/Downloads/Root/root_v5.34.36.
This is in your home directory, instead of the system directory, and the
version is 5.34.36 instead of 5.34.36c. For GATE it does not matter
whether ROOT is installed in system directories or your home
directories, the only thing is that the path that you give root ROOTCINT
indeed points to the rootcint executable of an existing ROOT 5 installation.

(I suspect that you *may* have the same problems with Geant4. The steps
for solving those problems will be very similar. For now I assume that
your geant4 install is OK.)

If you *do* indeed have a ROOT 5 install under /usr/local, the please
double check that you got the rootcint path correctly. Any typo (e.g.
maybe the "c" is spurious"?) would result in the error message that you
are getting. Please check the output of

ls -ld /usr/local/lib/root*
ls -l /usr/local/lib/root_v5.34.36c/root
source thisroot.sh
ldd /usr/local/lib/root_v5.34.36c/root/bin/root.exe

If you do *not* have ROOT installed in your system directories, then I
recommend that you try the ROOT 5 install that you do seem to have in
your home directory, under ~/Downloads. Try the following sequence:

cd /home/wilson/Downloads/Root/root_v5.34.36/bin
source ./thisroot.sh
ldd ./root.exe

(That "ldd" command just serves to test your ROOT installation. It
should result in a long list of libraries that the linker wants to use
if you would run ROOT as a standalone program. If any of the libraries
is listed as "not found", then something is wrong with your ROOT
installation.)

If neither your system directories nor your home directories seem to
have a working ROOT installation, then you should first work on fixing
that. If one of them is OK, then let's proceed with that.

I see that you set "GATE_USE_RTK" to ON in ccmake, and that you are
getting errors for that. If you know what RTK is and you are convinced
that you will need it, then you should first install it. Otherwise you
probably do not need it. Then you should set that option to OFF.

I hope that this helps to at least *change* the error messages. :-)
The build will probably get stuck somewhere else now. Please let us know
how far you get, and provide us with the output and error messages.

Instead of (or in addition to) ccmake screenshots, it would be helpful
for us if you could attach the CMakeCache.txt and
CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log text files that you have in your build
directory. This would provide us with some possibly useful extra
diagnostics, and it also may reduce the number of typos in commands that
we are going to suggest. :-)

Good luck!
David B.