[Gate-users] Problem with installation GATE v7.2

David Boersma david.boersma at physics.uu.se
Mon Aug 1 17:30:42 CEST 2016

Hi ευαγγελια,

Welcome to Gate!

As a first remark: when you report problems like this one, it is usually
best to be a bit more specific than "it does not work". What kind of
error message do you get?

Now to your problem. I wonder what you mean by "I have already
downloaded the cmake". Which version of cmake, and do you actually mean
that you *installed* it?

As mentioned in the compilation instructions, you need version 3.3 of
cmake (or newer). I checked the Ubuntu 16.04 package lists and it looks
like you are actually lucky, because in this newest version of Ubuntu
the default cmake version is 3.5.1. So you do not need to download &
compile cmake from source, you can just install cmake in the normal easy
way with:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cmake
sudo apt-get install cmake-curses-gui

This should get you a new enough version of cmake and ccmake. If you did
not get any error message for any of these apt-get commands, then you
can double-check the installation with

cmake --version
ccmake --version

Hopefully it tells you that you got (c)cmake version 3.5.1-1ubuntu1 or
something very similar, and then you can proceed with building geant4.

However, if it says that the "cmake" command is not found, or that the
version is lower than 3.3, then something went wrong. But I'm optimistic
enough to think that that won't happen. :)

Hope that helps,
David