[Gate-users] Gate v7.1 installation on Mac OSX

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 11:07:31 CEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Pete Z. Wu wrote:

> Now, as I understand if these two stages are successful (as it appears to be
> in my case) the installation should be OK. However, when I try to run Gate
> from the terminal I get an error message. I should be grateful if you could
> confirm to me that the procedure I have listed above in this email is
> correct. I should also mention that both ROOT and GEANT4 are working on my
> macbook.

The installation is probably OK, but before running the binary you
need to have some environmental variables set. Both Geant4 and Gate
should be improved a bit in order not to require any such
settings/variables, but at the moment you have to live with what we
have.

You have two options:
a) Put those variables into $HOME/.bash_profile (an equivalent of .bashrc).
b) Prepare an executable file with those definitions and call that file.

Below is an example that you could copy (of course you need to adjust
the location according to your own directory setup). I have created an
executable text file "Gate" which I put to a location I have in PATH.
Here's the contents (actually, that's the contents of a Gate package
from MacPorts, but it should work in the same way if you install Gate
manually):

> cat /opt/local/bin/Gate
#!/bin/bash
export GATEHOME="/opt/local/share/gate"
export G4DATADIR="/opt/local/share/Geant4/Data/Geant4.10.1"
export G4NEUTRONHPDATA="$G4DATADIR/G4NDL4.5"
export G4LEDATA="$G4DATADIR/G4EMLOW6.41"
export G4LEVELGAMMADATA="$G4DATADIR/PhotonEvaporation3.1"
export G4RADIOACTIVEDATA="$G4DATADIR/RadioactiveDecay4.2"
export G4NEUTRONXSDATA="$G4DATADIR/G4NEUTRONXS1.4"
export G4PIIDATA="$G4DATADIR/G4PII1.3"
export G4REALSURFACEDATA="$G4DATADIR/RealSurface1.0"
export G4SAIDXSDATA="$G4DATADIR/G4SAIDDATA1.1"
export G4ABLADATA="$G4DATADIR/G4ABLA3.0"
export G4ENSDFSTATEDATA="$G4DATADIR/G4ENSDFSTATE1.0"
/opt/local/libexec/gate/Gate $@

Mojca