[Gate-users] 22-Na positron source.

Patay Gergely patay.gergely at mediso.hu
Mon Mar 23 10:34:36 CET 2015

Dear Andrea,

I just used Gate7 for the same purpose a few weeks (and Gate5 a few years) ago,
and worked like a charm.
A very useful debugging tool is the verbose output of geant4, invoked by
/tracking/verbose 1
(be prepared for a *huge* amount of data on stdout).
If you see lines like

* G4Track Information:   Particle = Na22[0.0],   Track ID = 1,   Parent ID = 0
(...)
* G4Track Information:   Particle = nu_e,   Track ID = 3,   Parent ID = 1
(...)
* G4Track Information:   Particle = Ne22[1274.6],   Track ID = 2,   Parent ID = 1
(...)
* G4Track Information:   Particle = e+,   Track ID = 4,   Parent ID = 1
Step#    X(mm)    Y(mm)    Z(mm) KinE(MeV)  dE(MeV) StepLeng TrackLeng
NextVolume ProcName
(...)
    3    0.939    0.117    0.428         0        0        0      1.34
world_phys annihil

then everything is working perfectly.

Actually, you can only access the history of the migrating positrons from this
output, the usual root or ascii output will know only about particles reaching
the detectors, so an empty *Hits.dat file is not necessarily a sign of error.

cheers
  Gergely